Guidance » Guidance & School Counseling

Guidance & School Counseling

Welcome To Saluda High School's Guidance & School Counseling Office
Follow us on Social Media!
ACT and SAT tests

First thing you should do is speak with your School Counselor about what your plans are for after high school.  If you are planning on attending a 2-year technical school (ex. Piedmont Technical College, Midlands Technical College, Tri-County Technical College, etc.) you do NOT need the ACT or SAT score to be accepted.  These two year schools require a placement exam that you can take at the tech school campus.  

Students who are going to a 4-year college will need to take the ACT or SAT.  Please check the college admissions page to see what score requirements you need to meet.  Again, please go to the Guidance Office to discuss your plans with your counselor...we are here to help you figure things out!

To sign up for the ACT or SAT you will need to create a user account (if you have not already done so) at their respective websites:



Please keep your user name and password in a safe place because you WILL have to use this info to log back in and see/send your scores.

SAT/ACT Test Date Calendar For 2020-2021
Each test has various dates and locations it is given. You should sign up for the date that works best for you and location you will be able to travel to on that test date.  
When registering for the test, you will need SHS's school code which is 411790.
Remember, not all students will need the ACT or SAT for his/her post-secondary plans...discuss your plans with your counselor in the Guidance Office!
Financial Aid for College-Bound Seniors 
FAFSA - Fill it out beginning October 1
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required by all colleges to process your student's financial aid. The application opens October 1st and is based on the parents' previous year's tax returns. Students must complete this EARLY in order to receive benefits in which they are eligible for, as all money is first-come, first-serve. 
To complete the FAFSA, you must FIRST get an FSA I.D. - click here to register for your FSA I.D.
Private Student Loans
Check out this private student loans guide to help understand eligibility, costs, repayment, and warnings.  
International Students
Students who are not US Citizens may have questions about applying for financial aid at college. Please click here for resources that can help guide you.
Financial Aid FAQs and Guides
Student Athletes 
All student athletes who are wanting to play sports in college need to register with the NCAA Eligibility Center by the end of their junior year! You will create a profile that college coaches will use to see your stats, grades, and other info. Click "NCAA Eligibility Center" above to get started. 
Guidance Information
Click here for important academic information, and descriptions of each course offered by Saluda High School.
On-highway truck engines apprenticeship program - Blanchard Machinery Company is committed to fostering a high performance work culture with challenging work opportunities that inspire high quality results.  As an incoming apprentice for our On-Highway Truck division, you will be exposed to world class training and development both in the classroom and on the job.  Our apprenticeship program is designed to take young leaders with mechanical aptitude and transform them into highly capable and competent diesel truck technicians. Check out the program benefits and requirements here.
Meet your school counselors 
Bryan Vacchio
Director of Guidance
Juniors and Seniors
864-445-3011 x3021
Brandi Black
School Counselor
Freshmen and Sophomores
864-445-3011 x3022
Jodi Doolittle
Guidance Secretary / Registrar
864-445-3011 x3020

You will need to take the ASVAB test - check out the websites below for practice!  SHS usually offers the ASVAB twice a year (one each semester) to students that sign up.  Talk with Sergeant Phillips in room 111 about signing up. - ASVAB Practice Test 1

Students whose parents have served in the military (Active, Reservist, or National Guard) since 9/11/01 may be eligible for education benefits. If the parent is still active or still in a reserve status, they may be able to transfer their benefits to an immediate family member.  The link above provides specific information on the transfer of benefits.

Duke Summer College for grades 9-12.  Check out their website here for more info! 
Transcript & Records Requests
CURRENT STUDENTS ONLY - Parchment Transcript Request
Click the "Order My Transcript" button if you're applying to college and need to send your transcript. You will need to register an account on Parchment. 
ALL FORMER STUDENTS - Ordering Transcripts, Student Records & Graduation Verifications
Click for information regarding ordering transcripts, student records and graduation verifications.
NeedMyTranscript Button
College Open House Opportunities 
College Visits
Now is the time to start visiting colleges! 
Go to the college's website of your choice and go to the Admissions page to see campus visit dates/events/times and register for your visit. 
Juniors get 1 college visit day (excused day) as long as they complete/return the college visit packet - pick one up from Mrs. Doolittle.
Seniors get 2 college visit days (excused) but must complete/return the college visit packet from Mrs. Doolittle. 
Any questions? Your counselors are always here to help!
Military Service Academy Nominations

Interested in applying for one of the five service academies?  (US Air Force Academy, US Military Academy, US Naval Academy, US Merchant Marine Academy)  The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.

Appointment to a service academy is an extremely  competitiveprocess. To receive an offer of appointment, an applicant must obtain a nomination from an official source.  There are several nomination sources and applicants are encouraged to exhaust all available options.  This includes, but is not limited to, their US Representative, two US senators and the Vice President of the United States.

If you are interested in applying please let your counselor know

Refer to the Military Academy Nominations section of this website for more information.

Undocumented Students
Scholarships are available to you. Check out this website to see a list of several scholarships and which ones you are eligible for and apply!
Another resource for you is the DREAMer's RoadMap app for your phone. View their website to learn more about scholarships you are eligible for.
OCIYU Scholarship for Undocumented Students - This scholarship is only open to undocumented students living in the United States.

The SC Teacher Loan Program was established by the State of South Carolina to help talented and qualified students become teachers.  Students can borrow up to $2,500 per year in their freshman and sophomore years and $5,000 per year in their junior and senior years.  The loan is 100% forgivable if the recipient teaches in certain critical geographic or subject areas in South Carolina.  The complete lists of critical areas as well as the eligibility criteria and all other details of the program are available at: .  Funds are limited so we would ask you to encourage your potential teachers to apply as soon as possible.  Should you, your students or parents have any questions regarding this program please feel free to contact us at (800)347-2752.

Click here to view the website and application .

Southern Wesleyan University will match up to $1,000 per year - student must be attending SWU.   Click here for more info.

USCB LIFE Plus - must be LIFE Scholarship eligible

USCB Palmetto Fellow Plus - must be Palmetto Fellow Scholarship eligible at the time of their admittance

Academic Program Scholarships for the following programs: computational science scholarships; visual art and design scholarships; Beaufort College Honors Program (Biology, Lowcountry Studies or Nursing) - honor students will receive $4,000 a year for up to four years.

Click here for more info.

Every month, $1,000 will be given to a high school junior, senior, or college student for college tuition.  You can enter once a month, every month. 

1.  Go to and fill out your name, number and email.  That's all you have to do!

Manufacturing, Quality or Computers majors